Have you ever been faced with the decision to surrender your pet?
The Dog and Cat Shelter is here to help
First and foremost, we understand this is a difficult decision, and we will strive to make sure your pet is very well cared for until he/she finds a new home. We are not going to judge you or your situation. This decision is handled with compassion.
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
1. Call The Dog and Cat Shelter at 674-7694 and make an appointment to bring your pet in. This is so we can prepare a comfortable space for your pet to stay while they are here.
The application can be sent through:
2. There is paperwork: you will need to sign a release of ownership, and more importantly, we have a form that you fill out that tells us about your pet. This helps us find the right home.
Small Mammal Form
3. There is no fee to surrender your pet. At anytime, donations or volunteering are always gratefully accepted.
4. The Dog and Cat Shelter will hold your pet for 3 days. If you change your mind within the 3 day period, you can reclaim your pet. After 3 days, you pet will become the property of the Shelter.
5. Health Check: after your pet is past the 3 day period, a vet will examine your pet, and then if necessary we schedule him/her to be spayed or neutered, and all vaccinations are given.
6. Does surrendering an animal make you ineligible to adopt again?
It does not. Our adoption process and requirements are clear and staff will be happy to explain the process to you.
7. We are a no-kill Shelter: Unless an animal exhibits extremely aggressive behavior, or is terminally ill, we do not euthanize.
Thank you for entrusting the Dog and Cat Shelter with your animal!